I don't think this is a critical problem sheerly because the high prevalence of such vulnerabilities means some of the responsibility falls on the developer to not trust user-entered data.. The specific vulnerability is that when includeParams != none, the request URL was rendered unmodified within the HTML because the developer chose to use it in an anchor.

I guess the proposal is that if encode=true, the entire URL query section should be URL encoded and not just the additional parameters? Is that right?

Interestingly, encoding may not completely eliminate the vulnerability. In IE6 <a href="javascript%3Aalert%28%27hello%27%29"> doesn't execute the javascript, but also doesn't issue the request for a page of that name.

GF wrote:
Of course,
to raise this security issues, the includeParams attribute parameter
of <s:url should be different by "none"