Dave Newton wrote:
(Well, I get a "illegal operation inside path" error when I open in Reader 7,
which is, of course, what we're deploying for, but that's a different issue
:(

That's just an issue caused by Jasper Reports 2.0.3 when the way the borders are rendered was changed. Upgrade to 2.0.4 and it goes away again.
(At the time of writing, 2.0.4 isn't in the mvn repository yet though)
I've also enhanced the Jasper plugin (gotta remember to check that in :( to
accept "reportParameters" and "exporterParameters" in the config to define
two maps for report and exporter parameters; this is generally useful.

Great!