If you haven't solved this, here are the things I would try.

 * Check that the that the Validation files seem like valid XML. A
quick way to do that is to open them in IE.

 * Deploy the MailReader example to the same environment, to be sure
its validation works.

* Deploy your application to another container, like Jetty, to see if
the same type of error occurs there, and/or deploy the application to
Tomcat on another machine.

* If the MailReader example is working, I'd add my components to that
example, to see if I can get them working along side something know to
work.

If it still doesn't work, I'd create a WAR that contains just this
files, and post back here with a link to the WAR so other people could
try it.

HTH, Ted
<http://www.StrutsMentor.com/>