The documentation covers using images in submit buttons.

http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11/docs/submit.html

    * input: renders as html <input type="submit"...>
    * image: renders as html <input type="image"...>
    * button: renders as html <button type="submit"...>

<s:submit type="image" src="whatever.gif"/>

Regards,
Randy Burgess
Sr. Web Applications Developer
Nuvox Communications