One of the things I really liked about Spring MVC was the fact that it was
very easy to control the flow of a request. You could use referenceData() to
add data that was needed on the page but not necessarily form related, then
formBackingObject() for the actual pre-submission form population, and then
control the processing of pre-submit and post-submit with showForm() and
onSubmit()

It was also smart enough to repopulate things like referenceData if there
was an invalid submission.

Part of this was due to the fact that there were lots of different types of
controllers - all the referenceData and formBackingObject wasn't necessary
if you're just displaying a non-form page, but you could always use
SimpleFormController if you needed it.

I'm not seeing that kind of behavior in Struts 2. I'm not saying it's
required functionality, but I certainly appreciated it in Spring MVC.

Is it there and I'm not seeing it? How would you control the request like
this?