I use maven + struts + eclipse + tomcat as my primary dev environment.
After having maven create the archetype, you should also go into the
project directory and do 'mvn eclipse:eclipse -Dwtpversion=1.5' This
will create .project and a few other files that will help eclipse do
what it needs to do. Also, you have to setup a variable called
M2_REPO. If you look at eclipse's 'Build Path' setting for your
project, you'll likely see a bunch of references to it, but if it's
undefined, none of the jars will be found. It should be pretty easy to
figure out where to have M2_REPO point by looking at the entries for
Build Path.

Wesley Wannemacher
President, Head Engineer/Consultant
WanTii, Inc.