I undestand the issue, but missed the clue, I'm a bit rookie on Struts2.

If EL is forbidden, should OGNL be used, or is there a cleaner solution ?

It might be a stupid question, but
what would be the correct way of writing <s:if
test="${chapter!='Library'}>${chapter}</s:if> without EL.

I translated it to : <s:if test="%{#request.chapter== Library">

Have I to use % and #request or other context everywhere, and can't I simply
use the valueStack ?

Is there a good webpage, tuto or whatever, on EL / OGNL syntax ?