Dave-

Dude, it's bad. They had a team of developers each with varying degrees of experience which ranged from no knowledge of Struts/EL (those developers used.....scriptlets.....*shudder*....) while others used Struts/JSTL tags for almost everything when EL tags would not only have sufficed but made the code cleaner and easier to read. I recognize that there's some duplicity across the Struts tag library and JSTL, but it's like they found one way to do something and just ran with it, even if it meant it wasn't appropriate to use in a given instance. It got so bad at the end, when a bug was filed to fix a validation problem in a form, they just removed the alert box that said there was an error and checked it in as the fix.

I know they used MyEclipse and based on the indention (or lack thereof) in the JSP's I suspect they were at least partially computer generated with some type of GUI builder because there's no way someone could write JSPs like that by hand and not go mad.

I recognize that there's some duplicity across the Struts tag library and JSTL, but it's like they found one way to do something and just ran with it, even if it meant it wasn't appropriate to use in a given instance.

--adam

Dave Newton wrote:
--- Adam Gordon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Does anyone know if there's a server side library that can parse JSP pages (or the generated Java file) and look for dead Struts code?

Any of the typical code walkers should be able to deal with the generated
JSP, but it probably wouldn't be capable of identifying situations where
something was put into scope and referenced by name later.

I don't know of any JSP-source walkers with this capability. That said, it
shouldn't be *that* hard (depending on how well-formed the JSP/HTML is,
perhaps?) to write an ad-hoc tool that tracks whatever types of tag usages
you're concerned about and later references (or lack thereof) to the same.

HTHBIPD,
Dave