Hi,

>  1. Is this login "web service" something that is actually commonly used?

Yes and no, mainly because WS is session-less and you have to manage
the session token by your self. We use such approach internally,
through ssl and we manage session expirations by hand.

>  2. Is this what a web service actually is, or am I applying that term where
>  it doesn't belong?

In my opinion, if you don't have global SOA architecture /
specification / whatever it can be what ever you want, but without
clear path it can be mess in the near future.

>  3. Is Acegi flexible enough to use in a setup like this?

I think yes, you can extend almost everything / re-implement all the
classes and customize them to do what you want.

>  4. Is there enough additional complexity in setting up a system like this
>  that it would also make sense to look into just duplicating the
>  configuration for each webapp?

If you will have common template / approach / guideline there be
nothing more just to setup individual settings for each webapp. In
other case, you will all the time invite the wheel.

>  5. Are there any good books, web tutorials, etc that talk about this?

Google? IBM alfa works site ? ;-)

>  I guess what I'm basically looking for is a little design direction,
>  possibly other technologies that provide these services so I'm not trying to
>  build an entire system from scratch.

I thing you should start building your SOA strategy and how to fit it
to your current projects / structure. It's better to thing twice.

Regards
--
Lukasz

http://www.linkedin.com/in/lukaszlenart