From: Jeromy Evans [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 8:20 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: interesting proxy + action chain issue

Brad A Cupit wrote:
> ServletActionRedirectResult worked when I used it instead of the
> ActionChainResult. This performs an extra round trip back to the
> browser, which isn't terrible unless I want to pass data from one
Action
> to another, and herein lies some concern.
>
> POSTS should each have their own Action (which may write the data to
the
> DB). This Action should only process the POST. Afterwards, it forwards
> (chains) to another Action, which sits in front of the view. If the
view
> needs data from the DB, it goes in the Action for that view (not the
> POST-handling Action). If the view doesn't need data, then the Action
is
> dumb and just forwards to the view.

The reason the post-redirect-get pattern is typically preferred over
your approach is for handling of the browser's back button.
By returning a redirect the browser is prevented from reposting
data/showing a warning if the user presses back.

Your approach is clearly more efficient as it removes a request-response

cycle, but unfortunately the repost issue usually supersedes that.

> Seems like a nice design, but Action chaining isn't recommended, and
> isn't working with CGLIB proxies  :-(

The main argument for discouraging action chaining is simply to reduce
coupling between actions.  I didn't realise Ognl was performing a copy.

I thought the next action was
simply pushed onto the stack above the previous action allowing you to
access the properties of the previous action.  I guess I'm wrong.

You may have stumbled upon another reason to discourage use of chaining.