That note about not using type conversion for dates probably has to do with
the fact that dates can be formatted and so parsed using different patterns
depending on different locales.  If your code uses a fixed pattern such as
yours, I suppose you can ignore this.

So based on that, you can simply use a Date property in your action or a
nested model object and annotate it with a @TypeConversion with a custom
type converter.

Cheers,
GB