My interceptor is being called, but it appears that
com.opensymphony.xwork2.interceptor.ExceptionMappingInterceptor is still
being called before my interceptor, despite having my interceptor declared
first in the stack. As you can tell my interceptor is handed the "error"
result rather than catching the exception.

The only way I was able to get it to work is by changing the 'exception'
interceptor definition in struts-default.xml to point to my class. As a side
note, is there a way to override struts-default.xml? I tried setting the
property
struts.configuration.files=my-struts-default.xml,struts-plugin.xml,struts.xml
and overriding the 'exception' interceptor in my-struts-default.xml, but the
struts-default.xml was still being loaded. So I ended up checking out the
struts2 source, editing struts-default.xml and packaging it myself, which is
kind of a pain.

I have have tried both Struts 2.0.11 and 2.1.1 <http://2.1.1./>, also tried
it as a regular app and a portlet app and I get the same behavior.

Thanks,
Parker