Darren James wrote:
actually struts is currently using ongl 2.6.11 correct? In fact the problem that you reference here http://jira.opensymphony.com/browse/OGNL-141, seems to indicate it was the 2.6.11
version of the OGNL jar that introduced the problem. Can someone verify?

I would second the idea that "this is a very important issue for my project". Not sure if this is the appropriate forum to raise this issue, but I desperately need a patch.

Does anyone know if downgrading to OGNL-2.6.10 would solve the problem? Looking at the sources the synchronization on the method object in the OgnlRuntime.invokeMethod
seems to be the only difference between the two versions...

thanks,

OGN-2.6.10 appears to be run-time compatible with Struts 2.1.1 (evaluated by manual drop-in and test in my own project). The release notes of 2.6.11 state that the only issue fixed with the race condition in OgnlRuntime.invokeMethod; the fix that subsequently introduced the contention issue. Falling back to 2.6.10 carries risk but is plausible if your project is more affected by the contention issue than race condition.

Issues addressed by release:
http://jira.opensymphony.com/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10090&subset=-1