I suspect that I don't have any interceptors firing at all.  I can
change the value of "default-interceptor-ref" to "xxx" or anything and
nothing happens either on application startup or on action invocation.
Here is the entirety of my struts.xml file:

<!DOCTYPE struts PUBLIC "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts
Configuration 2.0//EN" "http://struts.apache.org/dtds/struts-2.0.dtd";>

<struts>
  <constant name="struts.devMode" value="true" />
  <constant name="struts.configuration.xml.reload" value="true" />
  <constant name="struts.ui.theme" value="css_xhtml" />
  <constant name="struts.custom.i18n.resources" value="global-messages"
/>
  <constant name="struts.locale" value="en_US" />

  <package name="ApplicantTracking" extends="tiles-default">
        <interceptors>
          <interceptor name="companyInterceptor"
class="com.tmw.applicant.tracking.interceptors.CompanyIdentificationInte
rceptor" />

          <interceptor-stack name="customStack">
                <interceptor-ref name="companyInterceptor" />
                <interceptor-ref name="defaultStack" />
          </interceptor-stack>
    </interceptors>

        <default-interceptor-ref name="customStack" />
  </package>
</struts>