Jim Kiley wrote:
I guess I could just use <s:action>, huh?  It's amazing how these insights
reach me five minutes after I send mail to the list.

jk
The Include tag creates a javax.servlet.RequestDispatcher and performs an include operation [1]. The tag attempts to create a reference to the resource provided as a parameter based on the current servlet path. It should be able to invoke an action if the Struts2 Filter sees that include request. The Action tag creates a struts ActionInvocation based on your Configuration and invokes it as accessed via the Filter (through all the interceptors). It can invoke any action but be wary that the ActionContext is stored in a ThreadLocal (not saved and restored after an invocation) and not all results can be safely executed within another page.

Hope that helps,
Jeromy Evans

[1]http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/2.3/javadoc/javax/servlet/RequestDispatcher.html#include(javax.servlet.ServletRequest,%20javax.servlet.ServletResponse)