It may be the case that the REST plugin can't support this (I don't know if that's true) but I don't see anything in the cited reference that says such URLs are un-RESTful. And a Struts apps should certainly be able to support them, even if it requires writing a little more code (e.g. a custom action mapper?)

L.

Al Sutton wrote:
Mike,

Rest URLs doesn't work that way, so the plugin is correct and your needs are not in sync with REST standards (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_State_Transfer for a more details on REST).

If you want to do something with multiple IDs my suggestion would be URLs along the lines of;

http://www.mydomain.com/rest/bookAndChapter/123_1

Al.

Mike Watson wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to use the REST plugin to implement a service that serves
resources using the following url syntax:

http://www.mydomain.com/rest/book/123   (which works fine)
http://www.mydomain.com/rest/book/123/chapter   (which throws a 500
because my book controller doesn't have a chapter() method)
http://www.mydomain.com/rest/book/123/chapter/1   (which returns 404)

I'd expect the two chapter urls to access the ChapterController
instead of the BookController.

Being able to request resources 'within resources' like this is
crucial to my application. Can anybody tell me how I can configure the
rest plugin to behave like this, or point me at some documentation
that does?

Thanks in advance,

Mike