In the context of Struts 2 and from my personal experience as a Struts framework (pure java-centric) user that does not do webapps development for a living I would have very much appreciated:

1-. A rather colorful set of Struts Blank applications where you could get out of the box: a) Several UI themes to choose from with professional look and feel => no worries about graphic design etc (this alone takes away all efforts involving HTML, CSS, Velocity, Freemarker, and maybe some of the Javascript too) b) A selected and consistent setup of plugins and sensitive dependencies e.g. dojo, tiles or sitemesh, struts menu, displaytag (afaik many of
      us Struts users seem to use/need it) ...
c) Couple of system level concerns implemented out of the box e.g. user management, authentication. d) A scalable design e.g. a generic CRUD mapping and best practices illustrated for implementing c)

2-. Struts 2 full-fledge implementation of the "Pet Store" tackling real life web application use-cases in addition to the showcase.
3-. Struts 2 IDE support e.g. wizards for generating #1

I have been recently trying to create a #1 for my company branch using AppFuse as starting point (btw managed to port it to S2.1.2), but it is a nightmare because here we don't use Spring, Hibernate etc and skinning out all that out of AppFuse along with their low level access to Servlet API, overall is becoming a daunting task.

Well, documentation was initially a big issue for me, because of S2 being a relatively new framework. Now there are really good books in the market specially the "In Action" I can't put it down ... btw I still owe a review for it in amazon

... just my 2 Cuban pesos :)

regards,
Giovanni

Ted Husted wrote:
Since it's friday, let me pose a question to the group ...

Even with rock-solid frameworks like Apache Struts, it still seems
like web application development takes longer than it should. Some
frameworks, like Ruby on Rails, speak directly to "time to market"
concerns and have been gathering many followers.

But why does web application still seem so difficult or so
time-consuming? Are there time bandits that still suck days or weeks
out of your development schedule? Are there time gremlins that
"nickel-and-dime" you every hour of every day? Is there anything more
that frameworks like Apache Struts can do to help? Or are just there
intractable problems with web development itself?

Thoughts? :)

-Ted.