Hello Jeromy,
I thought of your OGNL solution a few minutes ago, just before reading your
post.  I had been so adamant on finding the value explicitly within the
value stack, that I had momentarily forgotten that I had access to the
HttpServletRequest object.

But your statement about EL intrigues me.  How would you do that in EL?  Is
there some value available to EL in the request context?