Andy Law wrote:

There's nothing better than a good book though.

That's agreed!

What do you recommend? I have Kurniawan's "Struts 2 Design and Programming"
and Roughley's "Practical Apache Struts2 Web 2.0 projects" and "Starting
Struts 2". None of them go into any kind of detail about this section of
things (which is understandable since (a) it seems to be an edge case, (b)
it is a somewhat moving target and (c) the documentation on-line is 'less
than optimal')

True. The Struts 2 in Action book goes into the next level detail:

http://www.manning.com/dbrown/excerpt_contents.html

but still doesn't cover exactly what you're trying to do. I know others works are in progress but not the details or schedules.

You may need to delve into the source near the DefaultActionMapper and ParametersInterceptor variations to understand how it ties together.