quick and dirty solution: i know that this works if you use hibernate with
annotations so i'm certain that there is a possibility to do it with xml.
With annotations you can declare whether the data is extracted directly from
the property or indirectly over the getter-method of the property. Make
hibernate get the value directly from the property which uses the mm/dd/yy
format.
Define the getter-method and setter-to format in and out of dd/mm/yy. Because
Struts 2 always uses the getter-setter you alway have the right format.

class DomainModelObject
{
  //format = mm/dd/yy
  private String date;

  public String getDate()
  {
    formatToDDMMYY( date );
  }

  public void setDate( String ddmmyyDate )
  {
    date = formatToMMDDYY( ddmmyyDate );

cleaner solution:
I'm certain there is a better way to do this because the i18n-part of Struts 2
allows you to format the date differently depending on the locale of the date.
Therefore you should save the date in the format hibernate wants and use
DateFormat to format the Date for the view layer. Maybe you find something here:
http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11.2/docs/formatting-dates-and-numbers.html

/Stephan

-------- Original-Nachricht --------