Ok, so let's go back for a second and try to understand your question:

You have a form mapped to an action (struts.xml or via annotations) and you would like to have a button (one or many) to execute behavior on a method within that action instance? Answer: Yes. Add the "method" attribute to the "<s:submit>" tag. The method will be triggered as the executing method (instead of the default one). Note that the resolved HTML (I strongly encouraged you to look at the generated source) simply does the magic of telling the Struts2 to generate a button HTML element that will submit the form.

If you need a button "X" that is outside of form "Y", and button "X" needs to submit form "Y", then such thing could be done with javascript only (whereas through struts2 Dojo's plugin or other). Alternatively, a JSP can call an action by using the <s:action /> tag. Please refer to the http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/action.html for a sample. I still yet to see a good use-case for the <s:action /> tag, but I'm sure others have found it appropriate.

Roger wrote:
Is it possible to define a button (<s:input> in such a way that, instead of of calling a method in the action defined in the <s:form> tag, it calls a completely different action.method. Is it possible to just add a button that calls an action on the jsp.

Alternatively, I know I can style a link to look like a button with css, but I'd rather have a button if at all possible

Regards

Alberto
http://www.linkedin.com/in/aflores