Ah; there we go. The attached validation file in JIRA didn't have the "key"
attribute; threw me off.

You're accessing the login page via the JSP, right? That won't work. You should
access it through an action so there's an action on the stack so the getText()
can be called on something that exists.

You can either configure a class-less action in the XML or get at it through
dynamic method invocation:

/${context}/login!input.action

Dave