Finally i figured out the issue.The problem was that i had mistakenly
incorporated struts "defaultStack"  prior to paramsPrepareParamsStack in the
large set of interceptors that i had used . The prepare interceptor in the
default stack and again in paramsPrepareParamsStack  was causing invocation
of prepare method twice . During the first invocation the null values  of
prepare  came , as "defaultStack" doesn't have params  interceptor ahead of
prepare interceptor ,so no values were set from request.Now i have replaced
the "defaultStack" from the interceptor with paramsPrepareParamsStack  and
its running fine with no issues.

If any discrepancy in my perception please let me know.