Andreas Mähler wrote:

I've already tried that, but I don't know Freemaker yet and I don't even like the code that is generated by the simple theme. (e.g: it was my intention to write a 100% JavaScript-free webinterface) I also think that the interface is quirky and not as straightforward as JSTL's (at least the core tags - i rarely use the other stuff) - but that's just my opinion. I think I've also discovered a bug in the s:colgroup tag, so I can't use it. I've opened a ticket[1], but I think that I'm not allowed to schedule it to - say - the 2.1.3 release (at least if I don't provide a patch).

Greetings,
~Andreas

I didn't even know s:colgroup existed.

I've been through the same pain and have many times started writing new tag implementations (less optional attributes, leaner templates) but its much larger than I expected. Even though I dislike the tags too, they do have many things going for them to the credit of the original developers; automatically include field errors in the right place and (usually) selecting the correct option in a select, populating values from collections etc. Complex forms become a mess if you don't use them.

FreeMarker is overwhelming at first because the numerous <#rt> tags distracting from the important fields. I threw together this tool (http://www.freemarker-tool.com/) specifically for tweaking struts2 tag templates (see the examples).

In one of my projects, prior to struts 2.0.9, I created a lot of JSP tags (.tag files) that wrapped struts2 simple tags with more behaviour/markup. eg. textfields that included a radio button to enable it first and an attribute to set the radio value. In 2.0.9 EL in struts2 tags was disallowed so eventually I had to rewrite them as custom struts 2 tags. Creating the new tags and templates was surprisingly straight-forward and definitely more productive that copy & pasting the relevant JSP into every page.
Anyway, hopefully just giving you some ideas.

cheers,
Jeromy