Ok I figured out what is happening with my <s:submit method="pageForward" > attempt:

If you specify a form action function (example, <s:form action="sample!submit") it will supersede your <submit>'s method parameter and the <submit> method will not get called.

If I remove the "!submit" and make it action="sample" then the <submit> method is getting called.

Thanks for help on this one.

928572663 wrote:
But I havent' seen anything in the framework yet on how to have a single form call different functions in the same action class based on which button was pushed.

That's what <s:submit...>'s "method" attribute does.

I removed the JavaScript and hidden var stuff and replaced it with this:

<s:submit type="image" src="%{#next_button_url}" label="" cssClass="formButton" method="pageForward" />

but when I click on the image button the form is submitted (my Action's submit() function is called) but my Action's pageForward() function didn't get called.

The Tag Reference doc:

http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11.1/docs/submit.html

doesn't have much detail about what to expect: "Set method attribute." Is my pageForward() method supposed to conform to a certain signature?

Maybe this page can be updated to include this use case?
http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/html-form-buttons-howto.html
or
http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/multiple-submit-buttons.html

Thanks