All,

I am one of the architects behind a multi-language site using Struts 2.  To
mitigate XSS exposure, defining a whitelist of allowable characters is the
normal approach, but seems to become a non-trivial exercise when supporting
multiple languages (we will be supporting 15).  My understanding is using
POSIX based regular expressions allow combining language-specific character
sets in a single regular expression.  This is my first foray into the
subject of multi-language validation, so I apologize in advance if this is
not the correct forum for these two questions:

First, does Struts 2 support POSIX regular expressions?  I’ve tried a bunch
of attempts to just get a simple example working and have had little luck.
>From my research, I believe the following is expected to work:

<field-validator type="regex">

    <![CDATA[\\p{Alpha}*]]>

  <message>Invalid Field</message>
</field-validator>

Secondly, as a more general (and possibly non-Struts2 specific question),
has anyone had experience in implementing multi-language whitelists?  The
information on the Internet is quite vague, so I’m not sure if this is still
a black art making people a bit more close-lipped on the subject.

Thanks!

Eric Getchell | Sr. Technologist

Distributed Logic Corporation
600 Unicorn Park