I decided to pass up lunch and crack the code open.  The DefaultActionProxy
tries to find the namespace/action and if it cannot, searches for the
UnknownHandler rather than throw a 404.  I have discovered that adding the

<default-action-ref name="logger"/>

works, but I am going to look into how to nominate an unknownHandler.
Probably another undocumented extension point!

Peace,
Scott