So, from the Spring documentation:

prototype: Scopes a single bean definition to any number of object instances.

request: Scopes a single bean definition to the lifecycle of a single HTTP request; that is each and every HTTP request will have its own instance of a bean created off the back of a single bean definition. Only valid in the context of a web-aware Spring ApplicationContext.

So, if the ObjectFactory uses Spring to instantiates Action objects, we need to have Spring instantiate these as the framework was designed to (e.g. one action per request) which to me, this means "request" scope. Please correct me if I'm missing something.