I had before an error like this..

The encoding was Arabic and all the character become ? (question mark)
It wasn't related to struts, but to the application server (IBM Web Sphere)

The application works in my test server (windows) but not in production
environment (UNIX)

We discovered that IBM WebSphere translate automatically the request with a
specific encoding and there is a parameter that you need to set to force it to
get the request in other encodings

We tried also setting package.properties in the classpath as Martin adviced but
it didn't works.

Ing. Alessandro D'Ottavio
Elsag Datamat S.p.A. – Banking & Finance Division
Financing Systems Area Department - Tadawul
Via Naide 43 - 00155 - Rome Italy
Fax Number : +39 06 22796324
Office  : +39 06 22724617
Mobile : +39 3349067696