your web.xml contains a session-timeout parameter set e.g.
  <session-config>
    <session-timeout>30</session-timeout>
  </session-config>

from my understanding..regular catalina SSL or non-SSL connector has no ability
to understand events
you may want to look at implementing NIOConnector which will throw RetryRequest
for Continuation.getEvent() calls

http://www.mortbay.org/jetty/jetty-6/apidocs/org/mortbay/jetty/nio/SelectChannelConnector.html
This is extremely beta so caveat emptor

make sure you specify an unused port for %SomeUnusedPort%

 <Connector port="%SomeUnusedPort%"
    useSendfile="true"
    useExecutor="true"
    acceptorThreadCount="1"
    pollerThreadCount="1"
    pollerThreadPriority="java.lang.Thread#NORM_PRIORITY"
    selectorTimeout="1000"
    useComet="true"
    prcessCache="200"
    socket.directBuffer="false"
    socket.rxBufSize="25188"
    socket.txBufSize="43800"
    socket.appReadBufSize="8192"
    socket.appWriteBufSize="8192"
    socket.bufferPool="500"
    socket.bufferPoolSize="100000000"
    socket.processorCache="500"
    socket.keyCache="500"
    socket.eventCache="500"
    socket.tcpNoDelay="false"
    socket.soKeepAlive="true"
    socket.soTimeout="5000"
    protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
    maxThreads="150"
    connectionTimeout="60000"
    redirectPort="8443" />

HTH
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business
of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not
endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does
not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.

http://windowslive.com/connect/post/wedowindowslive.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!20EE04FBC541789!167.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_092008