I don't recall the 0.4 dojo tabbed panel being particularly slow to render, other than the extreme initial page load while Dojo makes too many http requests.

I can't think of any reason why it would get slower after a genuine page reload with the same content (if it's reloading via ajax though, then there's a good reason). The reload problem is not evident in the showcase: it's consistently unbearably slow for each reload at planetstruts.
It's loaded and reloaded via ajax...

Dojo parses your html for widget markup, so it there's a lot of mark-up inside the tabs it's going to be slooowww (such as tables).

Yes, there is a lot of mark-up inside the tabs. I can accept the slowness, but not the increasing each time I reload it (via ajax).

Whenever I had a dojo problem I created a simplified page of html with just the one widget on it to isolate the cause. You're putting yourself through unnecessary torture by not using a newer client-side library though.

Which client-side library do you recommend me? I have built a project based on struts2 and dojo 0.4.x, so... changing this library would imply a lot of re-factoring work, wouldn´t it?

Thank you for your response.