I'm sure this has been asked before but I haven't had any luck finding
the answer.  I'm having trouble getting the checkbox to work.

My web application uses a database and I have screens that add and edit
records.  One of the fields is a boolean called isPermanent.  So my
ActionForm has a boolean field called isPermanent.

public class DataSetForm extends ActionForm {
    private boolean isPermanent;
    public setIsPermanent(boolean b) {
        isPermanent = b;
    }
    public getIsPermanent() {
        return isPermanent;
    }
etc.

In my addRecord.jsp I've got my form setup and it includes this:

And my Action has this:
PreparedStatement stmt = connection.prepareStatement("insert into blah
blah isPermanent=?");
stmt.setBoolean(1, form.getIsPermanent());
stmt.execute();

All this works great.  My question is with the editRecord.jsp.  I'm
pulling the record out of the data based on the key field, but when I
display the checkbox how to if set it to checked based on the value in
the data table?

Right now I'm doing something like this (greatly abbreviated)

<%
    ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("select etc");
    if(rs.next()) {
        boolean isPermanent = rs.getBoolean("isPermanent");
    }
%>

Then further down I do this

<%
    if(isPermanent) {
%>
    <input type="checkbox" name="isPermanent" checked>
<%
    }
    else {
%>
    <input type="checkbox" name="isPermanent">
<%
    }
%>

When I first started working with the checkbox I expected it to have a
value= option the way the other components do, but it doesn't appear to
work the way the other components work.    Or am I missing something?

Thanks