Hello,

I got a problem with type conversion errors.

I have several custom type converters which throw a TypeConversionException in case the conversion fails. However, the conversionError interceptor does not add any field errors to the action in that case; furthermore, it seems that struts rather tries to set the un-converted String, leading to an error message from the parameters interceptor:

SEVERE: ParametersInterceptor - [setParameters]: Unexpected Exception caught setting 'xxx.ipAddress' on 'class xxx.NidsCustomerApplicationAction: Error setting expression 'xxx.ipAddress' with value '[Ljava.lang.String;@6dafa36'

(There is no setIpAddress(String) method, which is correct; I think this should never happen in the first place)

When there is no TypeConversionException, everything works fine (=> the type converter is called and works).

I have verified (using a debugger) that the ConversionErrorInterceptor gets called. It calls invocationContext.getConversionErrors(), but that method returns an empty map. However, after the TypeConversionException is thrown, an error message is added to the context in XworkConverter.handleConversionException(...). It must get lost somewhere on the way to the ConversionErrorInterceptor (?).

So my questions:

- Why does struts or xwork try to set the non-converted value as string
  after conversion fails?
- Where are my error messages?
- What am I doing wrong?

Maybe there is an incompatibility among the libraries I use?

Environment:

 struts 2.0.12
 xwork 2.0.6
 ognl 2.6.11

 (tomcat 6.0.16, java 1.6.0_10 ...)

interceptor stack:

  staticParams
  prepare
  chain
  checkbox
  params
  conversionError
  validation
  workflow

(This list is reduced to the possibly relevant interceptors; there are several custom interceptors before and after these in my stack, but I think they should not interfere with this problem)

I would appreciate any help on with issue - thanks in advance!

Regards,
Daniel