With m2eclipse I've noticed that if I remove the compiler plugin from a
project then the build settings in Eclipse gets changed to the Maven
defaults of JDK 1.3 and 1.1 compliance. If I create a project from a Maven
archetype, like Struts 2.0.14 starter, then the compiler plugin is in the
pom and the Eclipse project build settings apparently get created based on
that.

I'm using m2eclipse with RAD 7.5 and the "customized" version (with all
Maven features enabled) that comes with MyEclipse 7.0.

            <plugin>
                <configuration>
                    <source>1.5</source>
                    <target>1.5</target>