I did find a workaround which is a bit undesirable.

If I change my ArrayList to a TreeMap and store the same value for the key
and the value then the problem disappears. However, it is a bit wasteful to
store each value in the list twice.

Any other ideas? If not, my workaround is good enough for me.............