On Wednesday 04 February 2009 05:56:24 alee amin wrote:
> I browsed through struts official site to check for any plugin available or
> security mechanism to authenticate the user. but i could not find one. can
> anyone guide me what are teh ways to implement the security constraints
> (user security) on application.
>
> ..alee
> http://techboard.wordpress.com

There are really 3 main choices,

1. Container managed security... If you are using Tomcat, check the docs here-
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/realm-howto.html
Advantage - Part of Spec
Disadvantage - Doesn't always port to other app servers

2. Roll your own s2 interceptor... Check Mark Menard's tutorial -
http://www.vitarara.org/cms/struts_2_cookbook/creating_a_login_interceptor
Advantage - very Struts-y
Disadvantage - Not necessarily full-featured

3. Use Spring Security.
http://static.springframework.org/spring-security/site/index.html
Advantage - Super-Flexible, ports well to any app server
Disadvantage - steep learning curve, but after a bit of time, it all falls
into place.

-Wes

--

Wes Wannemacher