Hey brother --

Actually, I believe the problem is with the action call itself

<s:action var="cms" name="cms-topstories"/>

When this action is invoked, my CmsAction identifies the appropriate action
name using

getContext().getActionInvocation().getInvocationContext().getName();

which is now ALWAYS returning the name that was associated with the initial
request e.g. cms-mainPage