Thanks for your reply.
I was not fortunate enough to get it run by your reply. can you give a bit
more help to me.

I hav changed the class name to start with capital letter.
Now the struts.xml looks like as follows:

<!DOCTYPE struts PUBLIC
    "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration 2.1//EN"
    "http://struts.apache.org/dtds/struts-2.1.dtd";>
<struts>

        <package name="Amrita" namespace="/Amrita" extends="struts-default">
        <action name="loadAmrita" class="org.amrita.TestAction">
                        <result name="input">index.jsp</result>
                        <result>success.jsp</result>
                </action>
        </package>
</struts>

 web.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee";
xmlns:web="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd";
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd"; id="WebApp_ID"
version="2.5">
  <display-name>test1</display-name>
  <welcome-file-list>
    <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
  </welcome-file-list>
  <filter>
         <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>

<filter-class>org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ng.filter.StrutsPrepareAndExecuteFilter</filter-class>
         <!--
filter-class>org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.FilterDispatcher</filter-class-->
  </filter>
  <filter-mapping>
          <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>
          <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
  </filter-mapping>
</web-app>

directory structure looks like as follows:
http://www.nabble.com/file/p21999931/directory13.gif