I am not really sure what you are doing?? If you need a datasource and have set
it up appropriately
in your context.xml see
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html(for
tomcat 6.0)
you get the datasource doing something like this:

Context initContext = new InitialContext();
Context envContext  = (Context)initContext.lookup("java:/comp/env");
DataSource ds = (DataSource)envContext.lookup("jdbc/myoracle");

in an action.  You don't need to have a datasource as a hidden field.
mas

--
 Mark Shifman MD. Ph.D.
 Yale Center for Medical Informatics