FYI,
just recording my experience here.

I looked at displaytag it looks good but if there are some minor changes (it
encodes property names etc so when you post for sort/pagination, setting the
structs 2 action properties is difficult) other wise it looks simple.

Also I looked at jqGrid using jquery, it might take some effort but we
really get flashy UI. Also there is some thing called hdpagination another
taglibrary.

at the end as we have some complex stuff, we decided not to use these
libraries and write code on our own to meet our specific requirements.

Thanks
Harinath