Are you registering the listener in the action or interceptor.  Does it
matter or both fail?

The REST plugin needs a steward(stuart).  Don (original author) has been too
busy to work on it and I think most of the current committers are happy with
the current REST function or are working on other things.  Maybe you are the
one!?