Sorry to hijack this thread, but it looks like Wes has already given you a pretty complete answer.

At first I thought you were going to be asking about this:
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=FaqWebAppUnableToSetRequestCharEncoding

I get a warning in my glassfish logs for pretty much every request, and while I've not spent time to track this down I was hoping someone else here might have figured this one out already.

I see that in the prepare method of org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.Dispatcher it calls setCharacterEncoding on the request, so that does seem pretty early in the process... ...so either that's not getting called or something else is also trying to set this later and that's the source of my problems?

-Dale