Hello all, and thank you in advance.

I'm relatively new to struts 2, as I started working with the
framework about 6 months ago on a part time basis.  I'm struggling to
solve a problem that I would think would be fairly common: displaying
a tree within a JSP.

Essentially, I have an object (let's call it "Item") that looks
something like the following:

class Item {

    private String name;
    private Set<Item> children;

    // getters and setters
}

Working within a JSP page, I want to display the data within this Item
as follows:

  <ul>
    <li>
      <s:property value="item.name"/>
      <s:iterator value="item.children" var="child">
        <ul>
          <li>
            <s:property value="child.name"/>
            <s:iterator value="child.children" var="grandchild">
              <ul>
                <li>
                  <s:property value="grandchild.name"/>
                  <s:iterator value="grandchild.child" var "greatgrandchild">
                    ... and so on
                  </s:iterator>
                </li>
              </ul>
            </s:iterator>
          </li>
        </ul>
      </s:iterator>
    </li>
  </ul>

Ideally, I would be able to display this data using some sort of
recursion, since there's really no way to tell how deep this tree is.
If anyone knows of a good solution to this problem, I'd be very
interested in hearing it.

I did come up with what I thought might be a solution using the
<s:include> tag.  I came up with the following:

In the main jsp page, I have:

  <ul>
    <li>
      <s:include value="inc/displayItem.jsp">
        <s:param name="item" value="item"/>
      </s:include>
    </li>
  </ul>

In the included jsp page, I have:

  <s:property value="item.name"/>
  <s:iterator value="item.children" var="child">
    <ul>
      <li>
        <s:include value="inc/displayItem.jsp">
          <s:param name="item" value="child"/>
        </s:include>
      </li>
    </ul>
  </s:iterator>

This does not work, of course, because a parameter from within an
included jsp page can only be referenced like this: {$param.item}.  In
addition, I can't use that method to access the included parameter
within any struts 2 tags (as far as I can tell).

So again, I suppose my question is: is this an appropriate way of
solving this problem?  If so, how can I get this all to work?  If not,
what's a better way of going about this?

Thanks again for all of your help,
Anthony Frasso
a...@cornell.edu