Thanks a lot for reply. It works OK that way. I had to make a getter for the
Category objects as a List and maintain the setter for the categoryId
Integer array. It would be great if s:checkbox could also check when to
pre-check the checkbox in the same way as s:checkboxlist does (I think I
used s:checkboxlist getting checked fields from the Integer[] id getter. It
makes sense to use the same property to get checkbox status and to set
checkbox status)

Anyway, thanks a lot for your example.
Ignacio