I tried the dojo plugin in struts 2.1.7 and gave up - deciding that it
was effectively broken.  It is deprecated anyway in struts 2.1.

The template problems you are having can be fixed by copying the
template files into your local project (keeping the template/ajax
directory structure) and changing the ftl so that they check for the
existence of the parameter first i.e. change to: <#if
parameters.pushId?exists && parameters.pushId>.

Once I got over those problems I then found that it didn't work at all
in IE6.  At that point I switched to the excellent jQuery plugin -
http://code.google.com/p/struts2-jquery/, which hopefully should find
its way into struts soon.