same to me when working with EAR projects in Glassfish v2 and v2.1.

try config Exception interceptor, anyway I could not resolved the problem
this way,
I turn struts.debug to on, and then i'm able to see the exception msg in a
configured exception.jsp but never in the server.log!

I hope it help you!
good luck and if you find a fix please put it in the list :)