Nils - I'm not following how to implement your quick fix.  Do you mean I
should do this:

                        <result name="success" type="redirectAction">
                                index.action
                        </result>

I tried the above and it didn't work for me.

Thank you for researching this issue so quickly.  We would like to move to
Struts 2.1.8 (we are still on 2.0.14 for our Struts 2 applications that are
also portlets.

Bruce

Definitively a bug somewhere. A quick fix is to add ".action" in the
configuration for the redirectAction result.