Hi,

Obviously there is a gap between Hibernate and Web-Application.
OpenSessionInViewFilter working well, almost. I am using this filter and in the
most cases it is enough. Sometimes I have to load Collection with size(). The
another solution is to store only keys in the session and load the objects for
every request from the Database/second level cash. The Eager Initialization
does not work for two or more Lists in the class :(

Regards
Eduard

Dennis Atkinson schrieb:
Hello all.

I am running into the infamous "closed session" issue, whereby I get a
LazyInitializationException on a lazy-initialized foreign key relationship.  The issue, as I
understand it, is that the session is closed before the lazy-initialized objects need to be read
from the database, so there is no session when the read actually occurs, and the exception is
thrown.  It seems like any complex Struts / Hibernate system would eventually run into this issue,
as I have.  I could specify everything as "EAGER", but that would (eventually) load my
entire database and that's far from an optimal solution.

As suggestions for fixing this, I have found references to the FullHibernatePlugin, and also the OpenSessionInViewFilter class. Both claim that no code changes are required, and all that's needed are some configuration changes. The documentation on how to use these two solutions is sparse, at best. Has anyone used either of these two solutions? Is there any documentation floating around that I haven't found yet? Or is there another, better solution that someone has found?
I know this is a Hibernate issue and not a Struts issue, but I think people
here must have experience with this issue.

Thanks in advance,
Dennis