> If I am understanding you then that is fine.
>
> I often do the same, as I like to have a DAO as well as a Service layer.
> So inject my DAO's into my Service and my Service into my actions.
>
> Good ole' code by interface approach :)

It's the means that I have to employ to go down the next level I was
questioning. Whereas the action gets injected with a simple <bean
id="securityManager" class="com.myApp.security.PasswordChecker" />, I
have to use the longer version <bean id="securityManager"
       class="com.myApp.security.PasswordChecker">
       <property name="service"><ref local="Service"/>
       </property>
</bean>
to get things injected into my bean. I was wondering why just
declaring the service bean in the same way as the SecurityManager
doesn't seem to work.

Mind you, it's nice to know my design approach isn't totally AWOL as well.

Regards