When we use additional Filter classes in our Struts 2 applications, we have
to put the
additional filter and filter mapping nodes before the filter and filter
mapping nodes for the
Struts 2 filter.

For example:
<filter>
                <filter-name>OpenSSODevFilter</filter-name>
                <filter-class>
                        edu.ku.itsd.opensso.filter.OpenSSODevFilter
                </filter-class>
                <init-param>
                        <param-name>reloadConfigURI</param-name>
                        <param-value>/reload-headers.jsp</param-value>
                </init-param>
        </filter>
        <filter-mapping>
                <filter-name>OpenSSODevFilter</filter-name>
                <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
        </filter-mapping>

        <filter>

        <!-- declare the Struts 2 filter -->
        <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>

                <filter-class>

org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.ng.filter.StrutsPrepareAndExecuteFilter</filter-class>

                <init-param>
                        <param-name>struts.devMode</param-name>
                        <param-value>true</param-value>
                </init-param>

                <init-param>

<param-name>struts.enable.DynamicMethodInvocation</param-name>
                        <param-value>false</param-value>
                </init-param>

                <init-param>

<param-name>struts.convention.classes.reload</param-name>
                        <param-value>true</param-value>
                </init-param>

                <init-param>

<param-name>struts.ognl.allowStaticMethodAccess</param-name>
                        <param-value>true</param-value>
                </init-param>

                <init-param>
                        <param-name>struts.ui.theme</param-name>
                        <param-value>xhtml</param-value>
                </init-param>

                <init-param>
                        <param-name>struts.custom.i18n.resources</param-name>
                        <param-value>global-messages</param-value>
                </init-param>
        </filter>

<!-- restrict the Struts 2 filter to be called only when specific
URLs are called. -->
        <filter-mapping>
                <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>
                <url-pattern>*.action</url-pattern>
        </filter-mapping>

        <filter-mapping>
                <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>
                <url-pattern>/struts/*</url-pattern>
        </filter-mapping>

        <filter-mapping>
                <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>
                <url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
        </filter-mapping>

Also note the new Struts 2 filter class that is recommended for Struts 2.1.3
and later versions.

Bruce Phillips